Personal Narrative Prompts
- Think about the best day of your life. What made it so great?
- Who is the oldest person you know?
- Describe a friend situation that changed over only one day.
- Write about how it feels when you’re alone.
- Describe your favorite vacation.
- Has a book, movie, or album ever changed your life?
- Think about your future self. Write about a day in your life, one year from today.
- Tell a family story from your perspective.
- Describe a memory you have of extreme weather.
- Think about a time you had to work hard to learn something.
Reflective Writing Prompts
- Write down a list of your favorite things about yourself.
- List your sports or extracurricular activities. What have you learned from each?
- Think of three things you have learned in school this year.
- What is your favorite physical activity? What do you enjoy about it?
- How long can fish live out of water?
- What endangered animals are close to extinction?
- Research your dream career. What do you need to do to achieve it?
- What is the history of your favorite sport?
- Research an important invention in the last 50 years.
- When and why was your country founded?
- What does smoking do to your lungs?
- What are civil rights? Who has fought for them?
- Why do sharks hunt other fish?
Argumentative Essay Prompts
- Should kids have homework?
- Is your city a good place to live?
- Is it important to learn math?
- Should school start later?
- What’s the best way to eat an ice cream cone?
- Should skateboarding be allowed in private parking lots?
- Is Monday through Friday the best school schedule?
- Does pizza make a good breakfast?
- Are hamsters fun pets?
- Should students be allowed to go anywhere they want on the Internet?
(Answer yes or no, then explain why or why not.)
- What’s the best show on television?
- Should school start later?
- Who should be the next president of the United States?
- Is composting a good idea for your school?
- Why would you make a great school principal?
- What’s the best season?
- Who is the best character in a book you’ve read?
- Is college important?
- What’s the best job to have?
- Who is the greatest football/basketball/baseball/soccer player of all time?
- Write a haiku about how you feel today.
- Create a shape poem about your favorite sport or activity.
- Write a rap song about your favorite food.
- Pretend a friend hasn’t seen your favorite TV show. What is it about?
- What was the cause of a recent argument you had? What was the effect?
- Compare and contrast two of your favorite sports or activities.
- Discuss a conflict in a movie you like. How was it resolved?
**Every prompt listed above is from https://education.yourdictionary.com/**
Bonus Writing Prompts
- What do you do for fun that uses your imagination?
- Why do you think a spoon is curved instead of shaped like a box?
- Name five places you want to explore and why.
- If you were making an obstacle course for your friends, what would it be like?
- What would it be like if your school were in an amusement park?
- If you could start a business tomorrow, what would it be?
- How do you think insects find their way around in tall grass?
- What things around you right now are special or important to you?
- What five qualities should a best friend have?
- Name 3 things a great vacation spot should have.
- What would make a great suitcase for a mouse?
- What can an octopus do that you can do, too?
- If Thanksgiving were in July, would your family eat different foods? If yes, which ones?
- If you were on a game show, would you rather compete by yourself or as part of a team? Why?
- If you made lunch for your family, what would you serve?
- Which fruits would be easiest to juggle? Which would be the hardest?
- What would be your superhero name be? Tell me about your powers or super skills?